Jersey's abattoir will remain closed until mid-December because of damage by Storm Ciarán.
Repairs have been complicated by the discovery of asbestos.
It's a 'massive blow' for local farmers, who have been contacting customers to say they will be unable to honour orders of local meat in time for Christmas.
The government wrote to them last week to explain the situation.
It says it is working to get the abattoir back up and running 'as quickly as possible'.
Work to fix the damage is said to be 'extensive' and includes fixing the roof, sorting the electrics and making the building watertight again.
Chillers need to be replaced and the building must be deep-cleaned to ensure all asbestos fibres have been removed.
"I have real sympathy with the industry for what is, understandably, a massive blow for them, particularly at this time of year. I can reassure all those affected that the team are working their hardest to get the abattoir back up and running as quickly as possible following the storm damage.”- Infrastructure Minister Deputy Tom Binet.
Channel 103 understands temporary options have been considered, but there is nothing that can be put in place imminently to meet slaughtering need on the island.
Sourcing facilities in the UK at short notice is 'proving challenging'. Guernsey is not an option due to livestock import rules.
Farmers facing extra costs or losses because the abattoir is closed are being advised to contact their insurers.


£310k given to families to help with back-to-school costs
Wednesday sees more rain in Jersey than the past 33 days
Green-fingered GROW falls victim to light-fingered thieves
St Helier playground to close for three years
Zoo 'adder-ly delighted' with new arrivals
Chamber of Commerce wants review of minimum wage model by industry
Old Jersey fishing gear gets new use
Where have the Plémont puffins gone?